Sunday, August 10, 2008

Style



One of the reasons I originally moved to France was because of French style. Yes, the French do indeed have "style" and I'm not exaggerating. I remember on one trip seeing a homeless guy in the Metro wearing a scarf that was totally elegant. I could not help thinking, "Good Lord - in Paris even the bums in the Metro have style." You see it everywhere. And so you dare to apply a bit of it to yourself. I didn't in the U.S. Didn't dare because intellectuals who wear glasses are not exactly in the number one style group. Here, they are. But what exactly is style? On my last trip to the U.S., someone asked me, "So, Jeanne. What's in style right now in Paris?" You know, I couldn't think of the answer. In fact, the French genius is simply to transform the ordinary into the extraordinary. (Hey - that's me!) Of course, there are women who follow the "Style". I guess you could say that right now, according to my "scan other women in Metro" status report, that short skirts or short knit dresses worn with tights that cut off at the ankle are "in". Also structured. Also non-structured. Also bright colors. Also black and pastel colors. So, what does this mean for me? What is means is that I have to know myself and answer the question: what do I want to express about me visually? Given the fact that I don't really pay attention to "fashion", I do pay attention to what expresses me. Also, as the discount shopping maven of Paris, I into bargains. Bargains that express me. Occasionally we have a "Bingo" moment. Just had one the other day at Guerrisol, a resale store with an outlet near Barbès (17 bis Boulevard Rochechouart - mentioned in my shopping guide "Best Buys and Bargains in Paris"), I found 2 items: a pair of eccentric black and white pants and a 100% bright red cotton short dress for, are you ready, 3 Euros each. For a photo, I'm sorry, but you'll have to hold your breath until I can get a friend to take a picture. In the meantime, you'll just have to admire my Italian fluffy, ruffled and uneven hem skirt bought in the discount center for Italian clothes near Republique. This, plus jewelry and scarves sent to me by my mother she when she moved into a smaller apartment at her rest home (got a box with 84 scarves plus other items), allow me to express Me. It's an ongoing process. And that, to me, is the genius behind French style.

1 comment:

Artisans said...

Enjoyed the write up and pictures, Jeanne. You do have style. I will always remember the great shopping trip I had with you in Paris during the Christmas season 2004.