Sunday, August 31, 2008

Aging in Paris


I've been in Paris no since 1991 - woah, that makes 17 years! Good lord. In fact, I arrived here on August 23, 1991 - so it's almost exactly to the day. Time does fly when you're having fun, doesn't it? As I mention on my website , as a girl growing up in New Jersey and young adult struggling in California, my dream had always been to live in Paris. So I really should thank the nutso French rageholic who offered me a job in his Parisian video distribution company way back then. Even though "international sales" turned out to be typing mail orders into a computer. And even though he dumped me 3 months later. (Fortunately, I guess, I haven't had contact with him since he disappeared, and his company too, a year or two after I was dumped.) That's how I fell into teaching English which eventually transformed into international communication skills for French bosses! One of the best things about living in France that I know from personal experience is that aging does NOT automatically mean putting on pounds (excuse me - kilos)! I do know from personal experience that eating small portions is excruciating for an American used to supersized portions. Plus we Parisians have our dear Metro with enough stairs to equal a workout in Golds gym. I already talked about style in my last blog - you can see the results in the photo - taken last week - really! Oh yes - I picked up that red dress along with the "animal" pants at the used clothing store for 3 euros each. Not bad for a 59-year old lady. Living in Paris.

No comments: